Friday, November 7, 2008

Universal Language

In his novel 'The Alchemist', Paulo Coelho talked about a strange phenomenon called Universal Language. I'm not here to discuss his views and ideas about 'univeral language'; rather, I'm more interested in the term itself since it triggered me to reflect about the concept.
I think we all have or know one universal language. I don't want to dive into the depth of this subject and so, will try to keep it as simple as possible. This is how I think universal language exists. The biggest prove of existence of universal languge can be found through the existence of body language. All around the world, every human being poses some specific gestures common to all. When angry, we all frown. When nervous, we all fidget. When lying, almost all can't look into the eyes of the other person. To show an uncaring or indifferent behavior, we all shrug.
These behaviors show that there is some language we all understand. However, I think there's more to this language than just silent motions and gestures and we need to do an extensive research into this phenomenon to discover that universal language.

No comments: